Trent Bridge, Nottingham
Trent Bridge, NottinghamUpdated: Jun 27, 2003 16:08 IST
Name: Trent Bridge, Nottingham
known as: Trent Bridge Ground
Pitch type: Grass
End names: Pavilion End, Radcliffe Road End
Founded in the 1830's on an area of ground behind the Trent Bridge Inn by William Clarke, Trent Bridge hosted its first match in 1838. The first test match was played there in 1899 against Australia. It is the third oldest test venue after Lord's and Eden Gardens in Calcutta.
The ground and facilities have been altered and extended since the 19th century. In 1988 to celebrate 150 years of Trent Bridge, the Bridgford Road Stand and a new press lounge was constructed. This development has continued over the years since making Trent Bridge a top class facility.
It is one of the top international venues in England. India suffered one of their rare defeats in the 1983 World Cup at this ground when they were beaten by Australia. Though not too large,it is considered spectator-friendly.
First Published: Jun 16, 2003 17:50 IST