Two Indians played key role in 26/11 attacks
The 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks would not have been possible without the inputs and assistance provided by the two Indian accused, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin, says the chargesheet filed in the case.india Updated: Feb 26, 2009 16:49 IST
The 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks would not have been possible without the inputs and assistance provided by the two Indian accused, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin, according to the chargesheet filed in the case.
Faheem and Sabauddin have been arrested for conducting recce of the city prior to the November 26 attacks and giving information, including maps, to the operatives of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
The two were first arrested by Uttar Pradesh Police for a terror attack on a CRPF camp in January 2008.
The 11,280 page-chargesheet was filed by Mumbai Police in a Mumbai court on Wednesday.
According to the document, Faheem conducted detailed reconnaissance of the targeted locations and submitted information and maps to Sabauddin, 'a very important' functionary of the LeT in India.
Sabauddin, in turn, got in touch with LeT commanders and wanted accused in the case, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Abu Kaahfa and passed on the information, it said.
"During the last phase of training of the ten terrorists in Pakistan, Kaahfa had shown them the maps of the locations. On being questioned about the authenticity and accuracy of the maps, Kaahfa informed them that the maps had been meticulously prepared by Faheem and Sabauddin," the bulky chargesheet said.
It further said Lakhvi handed over the maps of the targeted locations to the attackers before they left Karachi for Mumbai.
"It was these maps and directions which enabled lone surviving terrorist, Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, and the nine dead terrorists to arrive with absolute precision at the targeted locations and comprehend the topography and lay out of the targets."
Faheem and Sabauddin had been arrested in January 2008 for the attack on CRPF camp at Rampur, Uttar Pradesh. The duo's custody was taken by the Mumbai Crime Branch in December 2008 in the terror attack here. They are currently in judicial custody.
Kasab, Faheem and Sabauddin are the arrested accused named in the chargesheet which is dominated by names of LeT operatives. Thirty-five Pakistan nationals have been shown as wanted accused.
The terrorists had targeted locations like Chhatrapti Shivaji Terminus (CST), Hotels Taj and Trident, Nariman House and Cafe Leopold during the three-day mayhem.
As many as 166 persons, including nearly two dozen foreigners, were killed in the strikes.
First Published: Feb 26, 2009 16:42 IST