Two sacked Haryana cops accused of rape arrested
Two sacked Haryana policemen accused of raping a woman who later committed suicide at the office of a top police official were arrested in Haryana's Rohtak district.
Head constable Balraj Singh and constable Silak Ram were arrested late on Wednesday night.
"Both of them came to surrender at the residence of the Rohtak superintendent of police. They were arrested outside the SP's official residence," a police official said.
"They were handed over to SP crime branch, Rajinder Singh, who is carrying out the investigation in this case," the official said.
Sarita committed suicide in the office of Haryana's additional director general of police (ADGP) VB Singh on Monday. She took the extreme step as she was frustrated with police inaction against head constable Balraj Singh and constable Silak Ram, who she alleged had raped her.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda has announced Rs.500,000 as relief to the family of the victim.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.
- In view of high active caseload the state had sought more vials in the first stage but it was told that in the second stage more vials will be given. Once lauded for its Covid-19 management, now Kerala is the virus hotspot of the country.
- The two countries will also work together in the field of telecom security, submarine optical fibre cable system to islands of India.
- Nepal is looking to India to provide vaccines as grant assistance for the first phase of its vaccination programme, which requires 12 million doses to cover 20% of its population. Nepal also plans to buy millions of doses from foreign suppliers, including SII and Bharat Biotech.