Volkswagen mull entry into Formula One
The Volkswagen group that includes brands such as Lamborghini, Audi, Skoda and Porsche is considering an entry into Formula One as reported by German business magazine WirtschaftsWoche.
This was confirmed when HT contacted the group's head of motorsports communications, Stefan Moesser. "This happens every year," said Moesser. "Obviously the focus right now is on the World Rally Championship but we are considering F1 too." Moesser did, however, clarify that the comments of the VW group's head of motorsports Wolfgang Durheimer carried by the publication did not refer to the VW brand itself.
"If we were to enter F1, it could be with Audi or Porsche," said Moesser. "But the comments were in no way about the VW brand."
VW is currently most visible in single seat racing as an engine supplier for teams in the F3 Euroseries and British F3 Championship (where Narain Karthikeyan participated from 1998 to 2000). F3 is a stepping stone towards F1 and VW engines powered the cars of 15 of the 21 drivers that took part in the F3 Euroseries last year and also powered the car of the championship winning driver in the British F3 championship last year.
The change in F1's engine regulations in 2014 were seen as a green light for VW to step up its single seat motorsports involvement but the brand has so far been firm on its resistance to taking part in F1.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and finance minister Bruno Le Maire will be in Delhi next month while IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will be in France. At least 8 Rafale fighters will leave for India through mid-air refuelling by UAE between April 19 and April 23.
- The order also said that Kailashnathan will head an executive council set up for the purpose,
- Congress is like an ocean, Gandhi said in the national executive meeting of the IYC, and if anyone wants to return can be allowed to do so.
- The two-day trip to Dhaka will be Modi’s first foreign visit in 15 months
- Parties urge Speaker, Chairman to reduce sessions amid polls; both Houses to begin at 11 am from Tuesday
- Additional sessions judge Sandeep Yadav convicted 35-year-old Khan, also known as Junaid, Salim and Anna
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.