What bars may become
The bar called Rehab in Bandra will soon be something you’ve least expected — a fine-dining eatery. Even though the city claims to appreciate entrepreneurs, many in the hospitality industry will disagree.Updated: Aug 17, 2012 14:42 IST
The bar called Rehab in Bandra will soon be something you’ve least expected — a fine-dining eatery. Even though the city claims to appreciate entrepreneurs, many in the hospitality industry will disagree. With help from the moral police and outdated laws, their growth is being stunted. Soon they’ll be left with no options but to figure out Plan B to recover their investments. On the basis of their defining characteristics, here’s what would become of some city pubs and clubs if they were to ever give up on Mumbai’s after-hours:
* Blue Frog (Lower Parel): In case ISRO decides to spruce up its act, à la NASA, this venue can easily become its control station. Unless Mr India 2 kicks off, in which case, this will be Mogambo Part 2’s lair.
* Shiro (Parel): Akshay Kumar’s struggle to find land for his martial-arts’ school will finally end here.
* Dome (Marine Drive): This is an ideal spot to place the Very Large Telescope. Though the European Southern Observatory might not prefer the city’s smoggy horizon.
* Gokul (Colaba): Its multiple levels provide great sound proofing. This dive can come to the rescue of Fort’s street booksellers in the form of a library!
* Escobar (Bandra): The opulent interiors of this banquet hall will be an instant hit with families who love filmi weddings.
* Toto’s garage pub (Bandra): This bar will go back to being what it’s meant to be — a garage. The car ‘on’ the bar will be refurbished and sold to recover costs.
* Hard Rock Café (Lower Parel): This will become a retro music store. Or a costume rental for wannabe popstars.
* Royalty (Bandra): Scarlett O’Hara’s massive velvety wardrobe can fit the needs of a beauty parlour or maybe even a Turkish bath with an Indian touch.
Here’s to another happy year of Independence.
First Published: Aug 17, 2012 13:29 IST