New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 28, 2020-Wednesday



Select Country
Select city
Home / Jaipur / 2 Delhi students drown in Jaipur

2 Delhi students drown in Jaipur

Two students on vacation from Delhi drowned in the Jaipur Ashok Hotel on Wednesday, reports Deepika Bugalia.

jaipur Updated: Sep 09, 2009, 23:01 IST
Deepika Bugalia
Deepika Bugalia
Hindustan Times

Two students on vacation from Delhi drowned in the Jaipur Ashok Hotel on Wednesday.

Manish Sharma (22) was from Ashok Vihar and Parminder Singh (24) from Vikas Puri. Both were students of BBA (Bachelors in Business Administration).

Police said the two, along with friends Kalpesh Gupta and Anshul Gupta were on vacation to Jaipur. They had checked into the hotel, managed by the Indian Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC), around 2 pm on Tuesday.

Police said the four friends returned after watching a movie on Wednesday. They decided to take a swim in the hotel pool. As Sharma and Singh proceeded to the pool, Kalpesh and Anshul stayed back at the reception to collect towels. “The hotel staff informed us the pool was under maintenance,” said Kalpesh.

The two had drowned by the time Kalpesh and Anshul were able to inform them about the pool.

“We shouted for help and the hotel staff rushed in and gave them first aid after dragging them out,” a visibly shaken Kalpesh said, adding that only Sharma knew how to swim.

They were then rushed to

a hospital, where they were declared brought dead, he said.

“Singh must have drowned and Sharma might have tried to save him,” he said adding that they were planning to proceed to Jaisalmer in two-three days.

“There was no life guard around as the eight feet-deep pool was under maintenance. This fact was written outside the pool and at the hotel reception,” said Jose Mohan, superintendent of police, Jaipur South.

The parents of the students have been notified and the bodies sent for postmortem at SMS hospital, the police said. More details would be known only after the postmortem report, Mohan said.

Hotel authorities refused to comment on the incident.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading