New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Dec 03, 2020-Thursday



Select Country
Select city
Home / Kolkata / Lad succumbs to injuries after being beaten up

Lad succumbs to injuries after being beaten up

Rabin Ash, who batted well and secured a win for his team, was later attacked by his opponents, reports Soumen Datta.

kolkata Updated: Apr 14, 2007, 18:46 IST

Eighteen-year-old Rabin Ash won a cricket match on Friday. He batted well and secured a win for his team. But he lost a bigger match when he was attacked by a friend of the opponent team and hit hard on the head. He was hospitalised and he died on Saturday morning.

Rabin, a resident of Tantipara area in Shibpur of Howrah had gone to play cricket near Dumurjala ground along with his friends on Friday afternoon. The match began at around 3 pm. At around 5.30 pm the match concluded after Ash's team defeated their opponent.

The Captain of the losing team, Ram Patra, a student of class XI at Howrah Vivekananda Institution and resident of Abinash Banerjee Lane could not accept the defeat. He started forcing the winning team to play again with his team. The winning team members refused to play sighting poor light in the ground as the reason.

An altercation took place between them. Ram was also not ready to listen to the argument of his opponent team. He started beating few of them, who were opposing him. Rabin tried to stop Ram but he started beating Rabin with a stump. "Ram hit Rabin's head repeatedly. As a result Rabin fell on the ground and became unconscious. He was also vomiting," said Rabin's father Tushar Kanti Ash, waiting for the dead body at the SSKM Hospital morgue.

Rabin, after completing his schooling, used to help his father who had a small welding and fabrication foundry in the area.

Rabin's brother Somnath, who was also playing the match, saw his elder brother's condition and rushed to his house and informed his father about the incident. Meanwhile, other players who were playing on the other side of the ground, rushed to Rabin and tried to bring him back to consciousness by sprinkling water on his face. But Rabin did not respond to their effort.

Tushar along with his neighbours rushed to the playground and found Rabin in a critical state. Other players who saw Rabin being beaten up with the stump surrounded him so that he could not flee. He was handed over to the police later.

Rabin was taken to SSKM Hospital at around 8 pm where doctors admitted him after the CT scan of his brain was performed. They found several injuries in the brain and started treating him at the Curzon ward of the hospital. Ram was also taken to the hospital where he described before the doctors how he had hit Rabin on the head.

"He was unconscious and convulsion continued throughout the night," said Rabin's father, who was at his bedside. At around 9 am on Saturday Rabin succumbed to his injuries.

The Shibpore police arrested Ram on Saturday morning after the news of death reached the police station. "He has been arrested on charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder," said Milan Kanta Das, additional superintendent of Police (Howrah Town).

"Ram, during the interrogation, told us that had not hit Rabin intentionally. He was just waving the stump to intimidate Rabin but accidentally hit him," said Shyamal Ghosh, Inspector-in Charge, Shibpore police station. But the police are not buying the story given by Patra. "We are waiting for the post mortem examination report," said the IC.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading