Patient's death sparks mob fury in Medical College
Infuriated over the death of a woman after discharge, her family members beat up junior doctors and ransacked the premises of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital on Sunday alleging negligence by the doctors.
Police said Punam Mahato, a resident of Kadapara in eastern Kolkata was brought with very high temperature but was released soon after she was administered with saline and medicine.
As Punam died on way back, her relatives returned and started ransacking hospital premises and beat up the junior doctors present at the spot, police said.
Four persons - Dipak Mahato, Umesh Sardar, Pintu Das and Sunil Das - were arrested by police for vandalism in the hospital premises and will be produced before court on Monday.
Superintendent of the hospital, who is out of town, confirmed having heard about the incident.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For the Matua community, permanent citizenship is a longstanding demand.
- Sisir Adhikari has been removed from the post of chairman of Digha Shankharpur Development Authority (DSDA) in East Midnapore district.
- Attacking the BJP over the three contentious farm bills, Banerjee alleged that BJP leaders have staged lunch with farmer’s family in rural Bengal after arriving in chartered flights.
- This comes a day after the TMC supporters allegedly ransacked Suvendu Adhikari’s office in Nandigram in the same district.
- TMC leader Sheikh Sufian said it was a BJP’s factional fight.