Talks should be held with GJM without preconditions: FB
Talks with the GJM should take place without any precondition and West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee should lead a delegation to the Darjeeling hills for the return of peace, the Forward Bloc said on Friday.
"The chief minister should lead a delegation of ministers from North Bengal to Darjeeling and hold talks without any precondition with the hill leaders to find a solution. The Central government also must properly discharge its responsibilities," FB's state general secretary Forward Bloc told reporters.
Asked whether the GJM should have been called by Bhattacharjee to the all-party meeting on June 17, Ghosh said all should have been invited.
He said he would question Bhattacharjee at the Left Front meeting tomorrow why the GJM were not called to the all party meeting.
The FB is part of the Left Front government in the state.
Asked whether his party supported the demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland, Ghosh said formation of smaller states did not solve problems of economic development and removal of the poverty, with Jharkhand (carved out from Bihar) "a glaring example".
Ghosh said the state government should start "real people-oriented planning" and work on priority for the development of North Bengal including the hill areas of Darjeeling and the Dooars region.
He said that his party would soon hold a convention in Siliguri to try to establish peace and amity between the people of the hill and plains.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For the Matua community, permanent citizenship is a longstanding demand.
- Sisir Adhikari has been removed from the post of chairman of Digha Shankharpur Development Authority (DSDA) in East Midnapore district.
- Attacking the BJP over the three contentious farm bills, Banerjee alleged that BJP leaders have staged lunch with farmer’s family in rural Bengal after arriving in chartered flights.
- This comes a day after the TMC supporters allegedly ransacked Suvendu Adhikari’s office in Nandigram in the same district.
- TMC leader Sheikh Sufian said it was a BJP’s factional fight.