Sudden stomach ache? 6 reasons you should know about
Your stomach may hurt due to a variety of reasons from digestive issues, bacterial or viral infections to certain diseases.
Stomach aches are quite common and everyone gets it at some point or the other. The intensity and location of your stomach ache can tell a lot about the root cause of your pain. Your stomach may hurt due to digestive issues like acidity, food poisoning, food allergies, bacterial or viral infection or a disease. It is common to get period cramps too. (Also read: Can anxiety give you stomach issues? Find out from experts)
Pain in the upper right side of your stomach could mean trouble with your liver or gallbladder and one should get checked for hepatitis, gallstones, liver diseases etc. Ache in the upper left side could indicate gastric trouble, ulcer, kidney stone etc. Pain in lower abdomen means you could be suffering from IBS, Inflammatory bowel disease or hernia apart from other diseases.
Dr. Roy Patankar, Gastroenterologist and Director of Zen Multispecialty Hospital, Chembur, Mumbai talks about common causes of sudden stomach ache.
1. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Do you have abdominal pain? It can be due to IBS that causes abdominal pain, cramping, or bloating that is associated with passing a bowel movement.
2. Food poisoning: In the case of food poisoning it is common to have abdominal pain. Due to food poisoning, harmful organisms tend to produce toxins that cause irritation to the lining of one's stomach and intestines. This can result in painful inflammation in the stomach, vomiting or loose motions which may result in abdominal pain.
3. Food allergies: They can lead to stomach upset and other digestive problems upon consuming certain foods or drinks. One may encounter gripping abdominal pain due to food allergies.
4. Gallbladder or ulcer pain: Gallbladder and ulcer related pain is generally experienced on the upper side of the stomach or upper abdomen.
5. Gas: Having gas can cause sharp pain in one’s abdomen and it can lead to much discomfort. Do not ignore the abdominal pain due to gas at all. Just seek timely medical attention with the help of a doctor.
6. Urinary tract infection (UTI): If you are experiencing constant abdominal pain which is affecting your daily life, then it could be related to UTI. Stomach pain is one of the common symptoms of UTI that needs a thorough evaluation.