Lisa Haydon bakes rainbow cake for son's first birthday, simple recipe
- Lisa Haydon recently baked a rainbow cake at home and shared snippets with her followers. The clips made us crave for a cake and we are sure that after looking at these videos, you will want to gorge on one too.
During the lockdown, Lisa Haydon experimented in the kitchen a lot. The Queen actor often baked bread, cakes and cookies for her family and shared the recipes with us. Since then, the actor has become fond of baking and she still bakes cakes quite often. Lisa recently baked a rainbow cake at home for her younger son, who will turn one tomorrow. She also shared the steps with her fans on Instagram stories.
In the first video, Lisa explains that she decided to bake a rainbow cake for her younger son and for that she divided the batter into six parts. In the next clip, she is seen mixing the red food colour into the batter. In the last story, the mother-of-two shows the final product and shares what she learnt during the baking process.
The caption on the image read, “I learned a lot for next time like the purple layer was the first I baked and the pan was too wide so that layer is not as fluffy as the rest. Also, instead of the dark blue food colouring wish it was a more vibrant blue so will shop around for better colours next time.. all in all I feel it’s not a bad first now to dress and decorate. (sic)."
We are sure that after looking at this delicious cake, you will also craving to have some dessert. Well, we heard you and will be sharing an easy to make rainbow cake recipe.
Rainbow Cake Recipe
4 egg yolks
48g (1/4 cup) fine sugar
64g (1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp) vegetable oil
80ml (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
120g (1 cup) cake flour
4 egg whites
60g (1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp) fine sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp fine sugar
2 tbsp hot water
Swiss Meringue Frosting
350g (1 ½ cup + 1 tbsp) unsalted butter
6 egg whites (188g or ¾ cup)
300g (1 ½ cup) fine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Separate the eggs (yolk and white). Then, in a large bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar. Mix them, until the sugar is almost dissolved. To this, add oil, milk, vanilla extract and salt and mix again nicely. For the next step, add the flour to this and whisk in a circular motion until it disappears.
In another bowl, mix the egg whites and the cream of tartar until they turn bubbly. Gradually add in the sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks are formed.
Add the egg white mixture into the batter in few batches. Use a whisk and mix gently in a circular motion. Do not over mix the batter. Mix just until it is well combined. Separate the batter and mix the desired food colours to each part.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan (use 7 inches pan). Tap the pans a few times on the table. Bake in the preheated oven at 170°C/340°F for 15-18 min. Repeat the same process for another 3 sheet cakes.
Swiss Meringue Frosting
In a heat-safe bowl, add egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl on top of the prepared double boiler. Continuously whisk the mixture while cooking. Cook over low heat. Be cautious that high heat will overcook the eggs. This process will take at least 5 min or so. Cook until the temperature reaches between 65-70°C.
Start whisking on low. The mixture will get a little frothy. Increase speed and make sure the mixture is completely cool (before adding the butter). Add the butter cubes one by one and mix. Finally, add in the vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
Layer the cakes on top of each other and add the frosting in between each layer. Enjoy
(Recipe courtesy: Instagram/foodies_by_rom_ta)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Whether you like your beans spicy or prefer skipping them and using plain canned ones, the goal is to create a quality burrito that is made from the scratch and you can try this simple recipe too if you are craving some Mexican food tonight
- Want to relieve constipation or treat your body to natural antioxidants? Here’s a recipe to whip up some creamy, crunchy Cauliflower soup this Tuesday evening which is a healthy substitute for rice and flour and is sure to tickle your taste buds
- It's time to add some fresh fruits to our favourite dessert and bake some fudgy chocolate strawberry brownies that taste divine and don't require a lot of effort.
- Pav Bhaji is a fast food dish which consists of thick vegetable curry made of potatoes, cauliflower onions, carrots, chillies, peas, bell peppers, and tomatoes, and though the recipe calls for fresh vegetables, one can even use leftover sabzis to make this, and it will turn out just as delicious.
- If Monday blues have already bogged you down, atleast we got your dinner menu sorted with this scrumptious recipe of Tempeh Spicy Mexican Tacos
- Up for some homemade chocolate that is bursting with flavour and nutritional benefits? Try this extremely simple recipe of Butterfly Pea Powder Bounty Bars that are not only a mouthwatering vegan treat but also helps one to lose weight and feel great
- Eat it with hummus or just like that, you can also use it in your sandwiches and burgers, falafel is truly a diverse dish. That is not all, it is also extremely easy to make. Try this simple recipe and tell us what you think.
- Ask us to define a perfect weekend evening and we’ll picture a plate of soft, melt-in-the-mouth lamb seekh kebabs. If you too are drooling on the thought, check out the recipe inside and wrap up this Sunday with a barbecue of easy-to-make lamb kebabs
- Running out of dinner options? Try this crispy and mouthwatering Cilantro Lime Chicken which is easy to prep, too healthy to miss and takes a Mediterranean twist. Check recipe inside
- If you forget our name, say ‘hummus’ and we’ll turn! On that note, check out this stunning recipe of a healthy vegan snack of beetroot and hummus paired with a small toast and sauteed mushrooms that promise a sensory experience with health benefits packed in every bite