Air quality in Lucknow, Kanpur three times worse than Delhi
The air quality in Lucknow continued to be ‘very poor’ and was, in fact, three times worse than Delhi in the last 24 hours, according to Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) data.
The Air Quality Index (AQI) of Lucknow on Tuesday was 374 and that of Kanpur was 379 while AQI of Delhi was recorded at 106, the CPCB data showed.
AQI in the range of 300-400 is categorized as ‘very poor’ and it is said to be the cause of respiratory illness due to long-term exposure. Experts said vehicular emission, dust from construction sites and smoke from factories were three major contributors to bad AQI in these cities.
Commenting on the situation in the state capital, Lucknow mayor Sanyukta Bhatia said, “The state of air quality in the city is alarming. As a concerned citizen, I will do my part to improve the situation.”
Bhatia has summoned officials of the Lucknow Municipal Corporation(LMC), Lucknow Development Authority (LDA) and Pollution Control Board to plan a working model for improving air quality.
The state pollution control board continued to claim that it was making efforts to improve the air quality.
Besides Lucknow and Kanpur, the air quality in other parts of the state improved slightly.
The AQI in most cities in west UP, which is one of the worst hit areas by air pollution in recent weeks, improved because of recent showers in the region, according to experts. The average AQI of Ghaziabad was recorded at 105. It was 67 in Baghpat, 110 in Greater Noida and 101 in Noida.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The UP govt is discussing whether to opt for rotation or go by the Zero formula, where fresh reservation of panchayats would be ordered without factoring in their categorisation in previous elections.
- Prof Bandyopadhyay, a member of the biological sciences and bioengineering faculty of IIT Kanpur is the current occupant of KENT Entrepreneurship and Innovation Chair.
- A Congress MLC objected to Savarkar's portrait and termed it's inclusion in the gallery to be an insult to other freedom fighters, who he said, did not bow to the atrocities of the British during the freedom struggle.
- Progressive sugarcane farmers from every corner of the state will be invited and it is expected that many specialist producers of the agriculture and food processing sector will also visit the festival.
- 10 BJP and two SP candidates are in the fray in the legislative council polls for 12 seats. Their unopposed election is being seen as a foregone conclusion, provided none of the remaining candidates withdraw, which will otherwise make voting necessary.
- The order to lift the ban was issued after chief minister Yogi Adityanath approved a proposal to this effect on Monday, sources said.
- All joined at a membership event held in the presence of SP chief Akhilesh Yadav at the party headquarters.
- The 41-year-old doctor expressed complete faith in Covishield vaccine and said that all results have shown it to be an effective protection against the coronavirus and safe.