Lawyer shot dead in broad daylight in Allahabad
Two unidentified bike-borne assailants shot dead a district court lawyer in Allahabad on Thursday morning, sending shockwaves through the city as lawyers staged protests demanding the arrest of the culprits.
The lawyer, Rajesh Srivastava was shot near the busy Manmohan Park crossing in heart of the city under Colonelganj police station area, a little after he left home at Rambah locality around 10 am, police said.
He was rushed to the SRN Hospital but doctors declared him dead on arrival, they said.
The assailants managed to flee the spot unchallenged after shooting the lawyer in the head from close range.
Police have launched a hunt for the culprits, Allahabad SSP, Akash Kulhary said.
Prima facie, police believe that the shooting is a fallout of a dispute with a small hotel owner of Srivastava’s locality and are probing the angle.
Lawyers from the district court, which is hardly a kilometre from the shooting spot, assembled in large numbers and staged a demonstration and blocked MG Marg near the MLN Medical College crossing in protest against the incident, with the body of the lawyer.
The lawyers stopped work in the district court and staged a road block on the busy Kutchery road too.
They also went on a rampage and set fire to a city bus near the district magistrate’s office. Shops in the Kutchery road and the Katra market downed shutters fearing more trouble.
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath announced a solatium of Rs 20 lakh to the family of Srivastava. and directed chief secretary Rajive Kumar and director general of police OP Singh to conduct a probe into the incident and submit a report within 24 hours.
The incident happened at a time when the UP chief secretary Rajive Kumar, principal secretary (home) Arvind Kumar and UP DGP OP Singh are in the city to review preparations and works for the forthcoming mega religious congregation of Kumbh 2019.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All 15 police personnel were suspended for remaining absent from their duty points.
- A senior BJP leader said the party has some big plans for AK Sharma.
- After the legislative council election, the UP Cabinet is likely to be expanded before the crucial 2022 Assembly election, said a BJP leader.
- The girl came to Lucknow from Nepal in search of a job two years ago before she was misled and trapped by the main accused who worked as a security guard.
- The quick acceptance of his application for voluntary retirement has started a buzz in the BJP circles that Sharma may be sent to the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- While currently nine domestic flights operate from Gorakhpur to all major cities of the country, an international flight from the newly-constructed Kushinagar airport will also commence soon, said the CM
- The first batch of the Covid-19 vaccines arrived by a special plane at Chakeri airport in Kanpur on Wednesday. Vaccines in stored in Varanasi are to be used in the divisions of Varanasi, Azamgarh, Prayagraj and Mirzapur.
- Questions are now being raised over the manner in which appointments are being made on various posts in the Congress in Uttar Pradesh.
- The high court had earlier directed the state and the Central governments to place before it a definite date and the intended programme detailing when and how the vaccination against Covid-19 would be done in UP.
- 51,000 healthcare workers have been listed in Lucknow for the vaccination drive.
- The AIMIM and Omprakash Rajbhar’s SBSP would contest the 2022 Uttar Pradesh polls, said Owaisi.
- 1.6 lakh vials of Serum Institute of India vaccine, weighing about 400 kilograms, arrived in 11 boxes amid strict security at the Lucknow airport. It was then transported to storage points in special GPS-enabled trucks.