Mayawati sacks minister over cop's murder
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Sunday sacked a minister from her cabinet just hours after his name surfaced in an incident of vandalism in which a constable was killed.
Jamuna Nishad, who was the minister of state (independent charge) for fisheries, and his supporters were accused of indulging in violence in Maharajganj on Saturday night.
Mayawati, who also ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident, said she summoned the minister to her residence. Confirming that she asked Nishad to quit, the chief minister said the minister told her that neither he nor his supporters were involved in the violence although he had accompanied a group of people to the Maharajganj police station to protest against mishandling of a rape case.
But an FIR lodged at the police station named the minister and his 50 to 60 supporters in the violence, Mayawati said. She said the police version was that the minister's supporters beat up police personnel and a constable was killed when someone opened fire.
It is not clear how the constable was shot. The police said a beacon-fitted VIP car stopped by and someone inside fired at them. But eyewitnesses claimed someone snatched a service weapon during the scuffle and opened fire.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The 41-year-old doctor expressed complete faith in Covishield vaccine and said that all results have shown it to be an effective protection against the coronavirus and safe.
- All 15 police personnel were suspended for remaining absent from their duty points.
- A senior BJP leader said the party has some big plans for AK Sharma.
- After the legislative council election, the UP Cabinet is likely to be expanded before the crucial 2022 Assembly election, said a BJP leader.
- The girl came to Lucknow from Nepal in search of a job two years ago before she was misled and trapped by the main accused who worked as a security guard.
- The quick acceptance of his application for voluntary retirement has started a buzz in the BJP circles that Sharma may be sent to the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- While currently nine domestic flights operate from Gorakhpur to all major cities of the country, an international flight from the newly-constructed Kushinagar airport will also commence soon, said the CM
- The first batch of the Covid-19 vaccines arrived by a special plane at Chakeri airport in Kanpur on Wednesday. Vaccines in stored in Varanasi are to be used in the divisions of Varanasi, Azamgarh, Prayagraj and Mirzapur.
- Questions are now being raised over the manner in which appointments are being made on various posts in the Congress in Uttar Pradesh.
- The high court had earlier directed the state and the Central governments to place before it a definite date and the intended programme detailing when and how the vaccination against Covid-19 would be done in UP.
- 51,000 healthcare workers have been listed in Lucknow for the vaccination drive.
- The AIMIM and Omprakash Rajbhar’s SBSP would contest the 2022 Uttar Pradesh polls, said Owaisi.