Panchayat ex-chief now on wanted list
ONLY A year back, Dhani Ram Patel was among the respected gentry of Chhatarpur district in Madhya Pradesh. Patel moved in red beacon-fitted vehicles guarded by hordes of security personnel.
But all that changed with the killing of dacoit Dadua in the Chitrakoot forests. With Dadua’s death, the police zeroed in on his men, prime among them being dreaded dacoit Ambika Patel alias Thokia.
It was during their routine meetings that Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh police officials determined Patel’s role in Thokia’s gang. Patel was found to be a fund manager, investing in various ventures for the dacoits.
Both the MP and the UP police have launched a massive hunt for Patel, who is a former Zila Panchayat chairman of Chhatarpur. Posters with his pictures have been pasted in all police stations in Banda and Chitrakoot. Madhya Pradesh government has announced a reward of Rs 15,000 on his head.
Sources say the Thokia gang’s annual income ran into crores. Dhani Ram purchased sophisticated firearms and invested the money in various projects to keep it multiplying.
“He is a hardcore criminal in the garb of a politician”, said DIG, Chitrakoot Range, Sri Ram Tripathi about Patel.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Instructions have been given to the tourism department officials to prepare the detailed project report for the tent city in Varanasi.
- Circle police officers and police station in-charges have been asked to strictly comply with the instructions and counsel their subordinates to ensure no undignified caller tunes were used.
- Aligarh superintendent of police (SP) said the missing student was moved by road to Delhi from Aligarh and a team has been sent to the national capital to trace him.
- Chaudhary claimed when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief minister of Gujarat in 2011, he had written a letter to then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, demanding a law to guarantee minimum support price (MSP) to the farmers.
- UP chief secretary RK Tiwari also pointed out to the Australian envoy that UP has already established six nodes under the Defence Corridor for encouraging setting up of defence manufacturing industry.
- UP State Electricity Consumer Council has opposed the corporation's proposal, arguing that the demand for change in slabs was an attempt to hike tariff through the backdoor.
- The accident took place at 68 Milestone within limits of Naujheel police station of Mathura district, said a police officer.
- Aparna Purohit was at Lucknow's Hazratganj police station for nearly four hours to record her statement in connection with the FIR over Amazon Prime Video's web series 'Tandav'.
- The proposal for naming the airport as Maryada Purushottam Shriram Airport would be sent to the Union government that would take a final decision