Have an eco-friendly wedding without compromising any aspect, here’s how
Getting married soon? Do your bit in saving the environment by using eco-friendly decor items, wedding garlands made from recycled paper, and by gifting potted saplings to guests. Sanna Vohra, founder of The Wedding Brigade, and Kanupriya and Parag, co-founders of Fotowalle The Story Folks, share tips:
* Instead of using floral wedding garlands, go for those made with organic or recycled paper flowers.
* Request your photographer to give you digital prints rather than wedding albums or proof sheets. Once you have the digital photographs, print a few that you are going to frame. This way, you can save paper.
* Try and RSVP as many guests as possible before the wedding day so that wastage around food and cutlery is minimised.
* Use recycled paper as decor options.
* Gift potted saplings to guests and if there are more outstation guests, you can consider giving them seed packets or earthen jars as they are easier to carry.
* The trend of sending paper invites can be swapped with digital invites via WhatsApp and emails. You can also opt for invites made from eco-friendly papers or seeds that can be planted later.
* A lot of food is wasted at weddings. Instead of the leftovers being thrown in the bin, opt for a non-governmental organisation to pick up the extra food and transport it to the needy people. Discuss this with your caterer before so you can make the necessary arrangements.
* Day wedding is the best option to save both energy and cost in a wedding. In case, you are having an additional night reception, ask your venue for energy saving light bulbs, candles, and use of biodegradable products.
* Have your wedding outdoor with lots of natural light, greenery or historic structures. This will minimise your need for decoration. Also, it will save on electricity used for taking photographs.
* Avoid using too much of marigold like every other Indian wedding. Use cloth decor like colourful drapes which looks amazing at a wedding day and add colours to your venue. Go for linens of natural fabrics like organic cotton and recycled fabrics.
* For centerpieces use potted plants. They are reusable, look beautiful and add ambience to your venue.
* Opt for reusable wedding signage by going for handwritten chalkboard signs that can be rubbed and used again.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more