The secret to being a smarter person? Interconnections within the brain
Have you ever wondered why some people are more smarter than the others? Your intelligence depends on how well the interconnected networks of your brain function.
The difference in the intelligence of individuals go hand in hand with differences in the patterns of integration among functional modules of the brain, says a new finding.
The brain is functionally organised into modules or multiple networks that are more strongly interconnected among themselves, while having weaker connections with other modules at the same time.
The study, published in the journal Scientific Reports, noted that in some people, the prefrontal cortex region - located in the front part of the brain and responsible for cognitive qualities like thinking skills, analytical processing and decision making - is more evolved and works more efficiently than the rest of the brain.
“The different topological embedding of these regions into the brain network could make it easier for smarter persons to differentiate between important and irrelevant information - which would be advantageous for many cognitive challenges,” said Ulrike Basten, Professor at the Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany.
The researchers studied the MRI brain scans of over 300 persons and found that in more intelligent persons certain brain regions are more strongly involved in the exchange of information between different sub-networks of the brain, in order to communicate the important information quickly and efficiently.
“It is possible that due to their biological predispositions, some individuals develop brain networks that favour intelligent behaviours or more challenging cognitive tasks.
“However, it is equally as likely that the frequent use of the brain for cognitively challenging tasks may positively influence the development of brain networks,” the researchers said.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra shows how to let the positive Monday energy wash down over you by giving ‘the spine, shoulders, and hamstrings that much-needed stretch’ with Yoga’s Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana | Watch
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets
- For the shooting of a new advertisement, Mira Rajput wore a gorgeous tile print mini draped ruffled dress. We are fan of this summery look.
- The 78th annual Golden Globe Awards 2021 was held on February 28. While most of the celebrities attended the show from the comforts of their home, some made it to the red carpet and flaunted their gorgeous sartorial picks. Some, however, did not make it to the best dressed list.