Mechanic: Resurrection review by Rashid Irani — This one’s totally out of order
Direction: Dennis Gansel
Actors: Jason Statham, Jessica Alba
Rating: 1 / 5
The first version of The Mechanic was made back in 1972. Four decades later, a remake of the same name featured Jason Statham in the role originated by Charles Bronson.
In this inferior sequel to the 2011 actioner, Statham once again flexes his muscle as a hit man tasked with pulling off three seemingly impossible assassinations.
The retired contract killer is dragged back into the exterminating business following the kidnapping of his newfound girlfriend (Alba).
From the get-go, German-born director Dennis Gansel (The Wave) fails to sustain the tension. The body count resembles a war zone as corpses of henchmen keep piling up. No part of the preposterous narrative is believable for a second.
Even the stubbly charisma and martial arts credentials of Statham can’t deflect from the formulaic screenplay and cookie-cutter characterisations.
Watch: Jason Stathan and Jessica Alba discuss the making of the movie
While Alba frolics about in skimpy outfits across international locations ranging from Thailand to Cambodia, the ever-graceful Michelle Yeoh is reduced to cringe-worthy declarations like, “Those who are most hurt, heal the fastest”. Ugh.
As for the Oscar-winning old-timer Tommy Lee Jones, he’s embarrassingly inept as the marksman’s potential third victim.
Even the most charitable Jason Statham fan will likely feel aggrieved by this hyper-violent piece of fluff.
Watch: The trailer for Mechanic: Resurrection
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Eijaz Khan has said that going through financial difficulties wasn't the only reason that he did Bigg Boss 14; he also wanted to resurrect his career.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.