Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 23, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

17 children fall ill after eating mid-day meal at school in Mumbai suburb

Police are investigating if there was any negligence

mumbai Updated: Aug 17, 2018 11:07 IST
Ankita Bhatkhande
Ankita Bhatkhande
Hindustan Times
Mumbai,Bhandup,school
Some of the students who fell ill undergo treatment in Mulund, Mumbai on Thursday. (PRAFUL GANGURDE/HT PHOTO)

Seventeen students and a teacher from Bhandup’s Sahyadri Vidya Mandir had to be admitted to hospital on Thursday morning to treat symptoms of food poisoning after they ate the mid-day meal served at the school.

Over 700 students from Classes 5 to 8 were served dal and rice around 11am and students from Section C of Class 7, along with their class teacher, complained of nausea and abdominal pain. They were taken to the municipal MT Agarwal Hospital, Mulund, and are reported to be in a stable condition. “After students and the teacher fell sick, we rushed them to the hospital immediately. Lingeshwar Self-help Group, Bhandup (West) has been providing mid-day meal to the school over the past 3-4 years. We have stopped their services until further notice,” said Narayan Sawant, trustee of the school.

The police said they were investigating if there was any negligence. “The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have collected the samples and we are proving them assistance,” said Akhileshkumar Singh, deputy commissioner of police, Zone 7.

The Marathi-medium school runs in two shifts- morning and afternoon. While the school has over 1,600 students, Thursday’s meal was served only to students from Classes 5 to 8.

Archana Shirke, a Bhandup resident whose twins were among those taken to the hospital, said they got to know about the incident only when they went to school around 1pm to pick up their kids. “We were told that the children took ill, while some started vomiting others complained of severe stomach ache after eating the midday meal. But there is no doubt that the school handled the situation effectively,” said Shirke.

“They came with complaints of vomiting and abdominal pain but there were no episodes after admission,” said Dr Usha Mhoprekar, medical superintendent. “We ensured they are hydrated enough and immediately started medication to counter any possible food poisoning effect. They are all stable now and are likely to be discharged by Friday morning.”

First Published: Aug 17, 2018 01:00 IST