Firefighters rescue 12 stranded on upper floors of burning Mumbai building, douse blaze
Mumbai city news: Firefighters rescued residents who had climbed the upper floors to escape the smokemumbai Updated: Jul 09, 2017 21:18 IST
As many as 12 people were rescued after a fire broke out at a 10-storey residential building in Worli on Sunday afternoon. Residents had climbed the upper floors to escape the smoke, said firefighters. No one was reported injured.
The disaster management department received a call at 4:30 pm, saying Himalaya building on RJ Thadani Marg near Flora Hotel had caught fire. The blaze was confined to the electric wiring, electric installation, false ceiling, clothes, split AC unit, iron and wooden furniture in a locked flat on the fifth floor.
Eight fire engines, five jumbo water tankers and an ambulance doused the flames within three hours. “The fire was extinguished after we broke open the locked flat and cut the electric supply,” said PS Rahangdale, chief fire officer.
An official said the high-rise’s firefighting system was defunct. “We regularly send notices to societies, asking residents to follow fire safety norms. We send compliance notices, asking them to fix their firefighting systems. Despite this, we come across structures that either do not have firefighting systems, or those that are defunct,” he said.
According to section 3 (3) of the Maharashtra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, 2006, the owner or occupier of each building must give the fire brigade a fire safety compliance certificate issued by a licensed private agency in January and July. This is to ensure that firefighting equipment is installed in each building and that it is well-maintained.
First Published: Jul 09, 2017 21:14 IST