From GST to ‘world’s largest beach clean-up’: Top 5 stories from Mumbai
Mumbai city news: Here are the top five stories you shouldn’t missmumbai Updated: May 22, 2017 17:11 IST
In a boost to Mumbai’s economy, the Maharashtra Assembly unanimously cleared the Goods and Services Tax ratification bill. In a boost to the city’s environment, 5.3 million kg of garbage was cleared from Versova beach over 85 weeks.
While model Preeti Jain got a reprieve as the court extended her bail in connection with a plot to murder Madhur Bhandarkar, Mumbaiite Nabi Ahmed was arrested in Pakistan.
1. Tejas Express: India’s first high-speed train leaves Mumbai, is now on its way to Goa
Railway minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off India’s first high-speed train, the Tejas Express, from Chatrapati Shivaji Station on Monday.
2. Nabi Ahmed is fourth Mumbai man to be held in Pak in recent times
Pakistan on Sunday arrested Sheikh Nabi Ahmed, a resident of Mumbai’s Jogeshwari (East), making him the fourth from the city to be held by the neighbouring country in recent times.
3. In pics: 85 weeks later, 5.3 million kg trash lighter, this is what Versova beach looks like now
Eighty-five weeks later and 5.3 million kg of trash lighter, Versova beach is now pristine. As many as 150 people participated in the world’s largest beach clean-up and cleared more than 16,000 kg of trash over the weekend.
4. Maharashtra Assembly clears GST bill, finance minister says it will strengthen state’s economy
After two days of discussion, the Maharashtra Assembly on Monday unanimously cleared the Goods and Services Tax (GST) ratification bill, paving the way for a uniform tax rates for goods and services across India from July 1. The bill will now be sent to the legislative council for approval and is expected to get the upper house’s nod on Monday itself.
5. Bombay HC extends bail for actor convicted for conspiring to kill Madhur Bhandarkar
The Bombay high court on Monday extended till June 7 the bail granted to model and actor Preeti Jain, who was sentenced to three years in jail by a lower court for plotting to kill film-maker Madhur Bhandarkar.
First Published: May 22, 2017 17:11 IST