I had no role to play in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts: Accused to court | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 15, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

I had no role to play in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts: Accused to court

The court said that Shaikh’s custodial interrogation is not required but has remanded him to CBI custody till June 14

mumbai Updated: Jun 05, 2018 01:16 IST
Charul Shah
Charul Shah
Hindustan Times
Mumbai 1993 blasts,Mumbai,Gujarat
Ahmed Alam Sheikh alias Ahmed Lambu, a key accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blast, in ATS custody on Friday.(PTI PHOTO)

Fifty-year-old Ahmed Khalid Kamal Shaikh, alias Lambu, who was arrested in connection with the 1993 serial blasts case last week, claimed that he is innocent and had nothing to do with the blasts.

Shaikh was produced before the designated TADA court on Monday where the CBI sought his custody for 14 days for interrogation. The court said that Shaikh’s custodial interrogation is not required but has remanded him to CBI custody till June 14.

Shaikh was arrested by the Gujarat ATS on Thursday after which the CBI took his custody and obtained transit remand from the Gujarat court till Monday.

In the meantime, CBI counsel Deepak Salvi told the court on Monday that Shaikh had expressed his desire to give his confession statement. The court was informed that after complying with mandatory process, his confession was recorded on Monday morning which he also confirmed before the magistrate court.

However, Shaikh’s lawyer Farhana Shah objected that he was not willing to give any confessions. Hearing the discrepancies, TADA judge SM Bhosle enquired with Shaikh if he had given any statement.

Shaikh said, “Officers showed me the statement. I told them I had no connection with the blast. Other than that, I accepted all the other statements and signed.”

Contradicting to Shaikh’s stand, CBI in its remand application claimed that the accused had attended the meeting organised by Dawood Ibrahim in Dubai. The agency claimed that towards the end of January 1993 or in the beginning of February 1993, Shaikh had attended conspiracy meeting held in Dubai. The agency further claimed that as decided in the said meeting, Shaikh, along with other accused were also sent to Pakistan for training in handling of arms and ammunition, throwing grenades and making bombs.

Salvi while seeking his further custody contended that Shaikh has made several revelations in his confession statement which the agency needs to verify and obtain further evidence to that effect. Shah objected to the plea.

First Published: Jun 05, 2018 01:16 IST