Maharashtra govt invites Maratha leaders for talks ahead of August 9 protest in Mumbai
The government has stated that it has taken all precautions to ensure that the protest march is held peacefully and without any hassle to citizens.mumbai Updated: Aug 02, 2017 00:54 IST
Ahead of the Maratha community’s protest march, which is to he held on August 9 in Mumbai, the state government has invited its leaders for a talk to solve the matter. However, the organisers of the march to demand quota have alleged that the government was attempting to divide the community by calling for such last-minute talks.
The government has stated that it has taken all precautions to ensure that the protest march is held peacefully and without any hassle to citizens. Revenue minister Chandrakant Patil said on Tuesday that most of their demands had been complied with by the government but the main demand for reservation and punishment to the Kopardi rape accused were pending in court.
Patil insisted that the government was not against the protest but wanted a deliberation with them before the march. “We were ready to talk at a round-table meeting in Kolhapur in April but they showed no interest. Now, after realising and getting inputs by agencies that the Mumbai protest is going to be massive, they want to talk. Leaders close to the government have told us that the state will ensure the protest is a repetition of the Nagpur march (which had poor response),” said Virendra Pawar, one of the organisers. He said that the decision on meeting the government will be taken by a state-level coordination committee.
In a reply to these allegations, Patil said, “We believe that discussion is the best way to resolve issues in a democracy. We are ready to talk with representatives of any number of organisations from the community. We have informally started talking to leaders of some of the organisations. We are not against the march. Adequate arrangements have already been made for the march.”
First Published: Aug 02, 2017 00:54 IST