Best-five policy to stay: Edu dept
Like last year, the school education department will apply the best-five policy for junior college admissions for the coming academic year.Updated: May 06, 2011 02:09 IST
Like last year, the school education department will apply the best-five policy for junior college admissions for the coming academic year.
Education minister Rajendra Darda said: “The admissions will be based on the best-five policy. We can assure that the process will be smooth. Though the issue is sub-judice, we will write to the court informing it that we will continue with the same procedure as last year.”
As the matter is pending in the Supreme Court (SC) and is not likely to come up for hearing before the court goes on vacation on May 13, the state is exercising caution by writing to it in advance.
The best-five option allows Class 10 students across boards to choose five subjects in which they score good marks to be considered while seeking admission to junior college. The policy was incorporated in the admission procedure in 2010. The state government adopted the policy to bring in ‘uniformity’ as they believe the marking systems of ICSE and CBSE boards are more liberal, thus putting students from the state board (SSC) at a disadvantage.
Parents of 21 students of the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) board had filed a petition against the policy in June 2010. They argued that the ICSE students take exams in seven subjects in Class 10, as opposed to CBSE’s five and SSC’s six subjects respectively. The high court ruled against the policy following which the state government moved the SC.
The CBSE board has given a go-ahead to the system as they have only five subjects in Class 10 and their students remain unaffected with the policy.
“We followed the procedure last May too and applied it to students who re-appeared for the tests in October. We have faced no difficulty whatsoever,” said Darda putting the speculation over the policy to be adopted for junior college admissions that begins in a fortnight to rest.
“We have reached a point wherein the other two boards are willing to implement the system,” he said. The department is likely to issue an official statement on the junior college admission policy on May 9.