BMC for prompt action against illegal buildings
The row over demolishing the unauthorised floors in Wori’s Campa Cola complex has prompted the civic body to plan stringent and quick action against all city buildings found violating norms. HT reports.mumbai Updated: May 04, 2013 13:57 IST
The row over demolishing the unauthorised floors in Wori’s Campa Cola complex has prompted the civic body to plan stringent and quick action against all city buildings found violating norms.
It wants to avoid a repeat of the Worli case, where the issue dragged on for years as it was stuck in legalities.
“Following the Campa Cola case, we have decided to gather data on all illegal constructions, specifically the demolitions that have been stayed by the city civil courts,” said additional municipal commissioner Mohan Adtani.
“We will then approach the Bombay high court so that actions against these constructions can be expedited and we can begin the proposed demolitions,” he added.
The amendment to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation Act, 1888, states that city civil courts are not empowered to issue a stay on demolition of illegal structures.
In cases where a stay was ordered before the amendment was issued, the BMC will take up the issue with the Bombay high court and try to vacate the stay order.
When the cases in the high court are taken up, the focus will be on FSI violations and structures with illegalities as in the case of Campa Cola,” said Adtani, who did not have the exact number of buildings which had stay orders filed by civil courts.
In Campa Cola complex’s case, residents had approached city civil courts in 2005 against the eviction and demolition notices issued by the BMC. After the civil court vacated the stay order in 2010, residents filed a fresh appeal.
Finally, after the SC verdict ordered the demolition of all unauthorised flats in the complex, the BMC, on April 26, issued a 48-hour eviction notice to residents of 140 unauthorised flats.
“ Following the Mumbra building collapse last month, civic chief Sitaram Kunte had announced a city-wide survey of all the unauthorised constructions across the 24 municipal wards. However, the data is still in the process of compilation.
First Published: May 04, 2013 13:53 IST