Cylinder bursts in Sion Koliwada, 4 hurt
Four residents, including two children, from Rawli Camp in Sion Koliwada sustained burns on Sunday after a matchstick used to light a kitchen stove accidentally fell on Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinder that was strewn on the floor inside their house.mumbai Updated: Jun 25, 2012 00:53 IST
Four residents, including two children, from Rawli Camp in Sion Koliwada sustained burns on Sunday after a matchstick used to light a kitchen stove accidentally fell on Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinder that was strewn on the floor inside their house.
According to officials from the fire department, the fire spread and led to an explosion because the residents had illegally housed 12 LPG cylinders and 18 canisters.
The incident took place around 2pm when Shivaji Gaikwad, 65, was attempting to light the kitchen stove with a matchstick.
Shivaji, Nagesh Gaikwad, 26, Priyanka Natu, 7, and Divya Natu, 5, were taken to Sion Hospital for treatment.
While Shivaji and Nagesh are recuperating in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital after sustaining 50% and 60% burns respectively, the children were declared to be out of danger after sustaining approximately 15% burns each.
"The male patients have suffered superficial deep burns and are on intravenous fluids. Their condition is critical," said a doctor from the hospital, who is not authorised to talk to the media.
"The girls are stable."
Soon after the incident, the fire officials seized the illegal gas cylinders and canisters from the house.
"The LPG could've accidentally fallen on the ground when one of the residents was emptying the liquid gas into a canister," said SD Sawant, assistant divisional fire officer.
"We have seized the cylinders and canisters and are investigating the matter."
Police authorities from Wadala Truck Terminus police station said a case would be registered on the basis of the statements of the injured and eyewitnesses.
First Published: Jun 25, 2012 00:51 IST