Watch what you eat: Season’s 1st cholera cases reported in Mumbai
Mumbai's first two cases of cholera this season were reported on Tuesday. A 45-year-old man from Sion and a Chembur resident in her forties are being treated and are out of danger, doctors said.mumbai Updated: Jul 14, 2015 23:18 IST
Mumbai's first two cases of cholera this season were reported on Tuesday. A 45-year-old man from Sion and a Chembur resident in her forties are being treated and are out of danger, doctors said.
The Sion resident was admitted to hospital in a critical condition, but is stable now, the doctors said. “His blood pressure was low and his pulse feeble, when he was brought in,” said Dr Shahid Barmare, the physician treating the patient. He was also severely dehydrated — a classical symptom of cholera.
Cholera is an intestinal infection caused by eating food or drinking water that is contaminated with the vibrio cholerae bacterium. An infected person will start showing symptoms, mainly severe diarrhea, between one and five days.
Three cases of cholera were reported in July last year. Between 2001 and 2010, 58 people have died of the infection, according to the civic epidemiology cell.
The Sion resident is being treated at the New Noor Hospital in Kurla.
“Apart from diarrhoea, he was also vomiting and complained of pain,” said Dr Barmare. The patient’s stool samples confirmed he was suffering from cholera, Barmare said.
The Chembur woman is in Jaslok Hospital. “She was admitted in the intensive care unit. She came to the hospital with severe fluid loss owing to the dehydration,” said Dr Om Shrivastav, infectious disease specialist, adding that the woman was responding to treatment and was out of danger.
During this season, any gastroenteritis case can become prone to cholera, health experts said, while asking people to watch what they eat.
A senior doctor from a public hospital said, “We are testing all acute cases of diarrhoea for cholera, but none of them have tested positive so far.”
First Published: Jul 14, 2015 23:17 IST