I refuse to sing at weddings even if I'm offered a crore: KK
H e's less seen than heard. And to think that he has been on the music scene for over 12 years. I meet him at a tiny joint in Bandra over cups of cappucino. Excerpts from a yakety-yak with Krishna Kumar Menon aka KK.
Haven't you answered the question, "What took you eight years for your private second album" ad nauseam?
Yeah, it's something I've been trying to run away from. After Pal, I was singing for almost every composer. It takes a while to be motivated to start something new.
Meanwhile, Jyothy, my wife and best friend, kept pushing me to start on a second private album. I took off on holidays to open my gyaan chakshus to bring out the best from within. Kalyan Barua has contributed considerably to the album apart from rhythm programming and keyboards.
Do you think it's the best time to release an album?
I never ever thought that this was the best or worst time to cut an album. I respect my relations with Sony BMG. They gave me Pal when I was a nobody.
Weren't you supposed to release Humsafar in September?
Right. But some technical work took some time. I was also travelling between October and December. One also needs time to do the videos.
Do you expect the album to be compared with Pal?
The success of Pal didn't stop me beyond a point to cut my second album. Look at the Eagles. They've never produced a second Hotel California.. but they have given other huge hits too.
I can't claim that all the 10 tracks on
will be hits. But there's something for everyone in it.
Don't you intend to compose music for movies?
No way. That requires too much endurance. I'm happier singing for the movies.
Hasn't playback singing become less competitive considering the fact that singers like Sonu Niigaam have become far too selective?
No. In fact, it's getting much com petitive for all of us because there are new voices being disovered every day. But that's a healthy sign.. the industry is becoming bigger.. the competition is stiff but not unhealthy. There's no backbiting.. only co-existence.
Would you say you're ambitious?
Yes, but I don't snatch work. I'm not insecure and jealous of others.
As a singer, have you refused any offers?
Yes. I refuse to sing at wedding functions even if I'm offered Rs 1 crore.
What about acting?
Oh please.. let that be. I can't act for peanuts. Years ago, I was offered a film but I refused point blank.
But you do music videos?
Those are short. Hard work is involved but not as much as a film requires.
Will you ever do another reality show.. on the lines of
Never. Shankar (Mahadevan) and Javed
(Akhtar) and I had fun doing the show. I was invited for more shows after that but I've kept away. I'm impatient. Shootings are cancelled for silly things like fused lights and no replacements available. I couldn't take that. Otherwise, reality shows can be fun.
Do singers lead luxurious lives?
Sure..(laughs) but not as much as the Ambanis do. The money scene is fine.
Apparently, you have a palatial house at Yari Road.
(Smiles shyly) Who told you that? Yes, I do have a huge house. It's well-planned, spread over six rooms. My wife Jyothy designed it.
What's it like to be Mallika Sherawat's neighbour?
She stays two floors below. I've never met her though.. not even seen her in the building. (Laughs) I don't know who she is.
Om Shanti Om- Ankhon mein teri, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom - title song, Life in a.. Metro- O meri jaan, Dhoom 2 - Touch me, Kabul Express- Banjar revisited, Woh Lamhe- Kya mujhe pyaar hai, Gangster- Tu hi meri shab hai, Aksar- Soniye, Iqbal- Aashayein, Dus- Dus bahane, Jism- Awarapan banjarapan, Jhankar Beats- Tu aashiqui hai, Hum Dil de Chuke Sanam- Tadap Tadap
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer V left fans in India screaming after he was seen thanking a yoga instructor with a "namaste."
- BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.