Neha Bhasin is not really bothered about the ‘sad reality’ of male singers dominating Bollywood
Although singer Neha Bhasin admits that there are not many opportunities for female singers in Bollywood because of a “male dominated film industry”, she isn’t bothered about the “sad reality”.
“I have always been beyond that pressure, and I don’t run after that industry. I mean... yes, I have sung some really nice songs in Bollywood, and I have been lucky to sing them, but I am happy with the independent music space that I have created so far,” she says.
“I have felt that anger (that male singers get more songs than female singers in Bollywood), and I know that it exists. It’s a sad reality. But if you see closely, you will realise that all the production houses, or at least the big production houses are all run by (male) actors. So, that monopoly will always exist. There are a lot of duets happening, but very few songs which are sung by only one woman,” she adds.
The 35-year-old singer recently released an independent single, Chitta Kukkad — which is Neha’s rendition of the popular Punjabi folk song. “It is a completely acoustic set up and there is almost no electronic element in it. We wanted to invoke that feeling of nostalgia that you get after listening to the song. I was very nostalgic when I was working on the song, and I think that’s what we have tried to capture.”
“We took up this song, because I ran a poll on my Instagram page, asking people to choose between this song or another folk song. 77 % of the fans chose Chitta Kukkad, and that’s how we zeroed in on the song,” she says.
Interact with the author on Twitter/@sammysamarth
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.