Patriotic song Aye mere watan ke logon turns 50
It is a song that is sung on most patriotic occasion, had moved India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru to tears and its morale-boosting words provided solace to a nation agonised by the defeat in the 1962 India-China war.
Ae mere watan, penned by National Poet Pradeep, was written shortly after the war and served to unite the masses that were seething with rage over the battering the Indian forces received.
The song, revered next only to the National Anthem and the National Song (Vande Mataram), was first rendered before a packed National Stadium in the capital on a cold January 27 evening exactly 50 years ago, by Lata Mangeshkar.
The distinguished audience included President S Radhakrishnan, Prime Minister Nehru, virtually the entire film industry comprising stalwarts like Dilip Kumar and late actors Dev Anand, Raj Kapoor, Rajendra Kumar, Mohammed Rafi and Hemant Kumar.
“My father wasn’t invited. When Nehru visited Mumbai three months later — on March 21, 1963 — he sang it for him at a function here and also presented the original handwritten poem to him,” says Pradeep’s daughter, Mitul.
Lata almost missed out on singing it due to a misunderstanding, but was convinced by Pradeep.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- BTS singer V left fans in India screaming after he was seen thanking a yoga instructor with a "namaste."
- BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.