Family alleges negligence after woman dies in Noida hospital | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 20, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Family alleges negligence after woman dies in Noida hospital

The 27-year-old resident of Dadri died of asphyxiation while undergoing treatment at ESIC hospital

noida Updated: Aug 09, 2016 23:46 IST
Vaibhav Jha
Vaibhav Jha
Hindustan Times
Dadri,delay in ambulance,Sector 24 police station
The victim’s family has lodged a complaint with the police against ESIC hospital.(Burhaan Kinu/HT Photo)

A ruckus was reported from the ESIC hospital on Tuesday morning after 27-year-old Kanchan Mishra, a resident of Dadri, died of asphyxiation while undergoing treatment at the hospital. Her kin has accused the hospital of negligence resulting in her death.

Mishra was admitted to the ESIC Hospital in Sector 24 around 12.30 am on the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday, after she complained of continuous vomiting and abdominal pain.

Her husband Prakash Mishra works as a driver in Pepsi godown in Sector 73 and the couple lived in Yususfpur Chak Saberi village in Dadri.

Mishra’s kin allege that her condition deteriorated around 3 am and she developed rashes all over her body which they alleged was due to the side effects of the medicines administered to her. They further alleged that no staff or doctor was available to attend to Mishra at that time.

“We asked for a doctor or staff to attend to Kanchan but nobody was available. Around 5 am, a doctor examined her and said since Kanchan was getting epileptic fits, she should be referred to the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences,Shahdara. We were willing to take her there but the doctor recommended that we wait for the ESIC ambulance to take her,” Prakash said.

Mishra’s family alleged that no ambulance was provided by the hospital till 8.30 am. Then, while they were giving her some water, Mishra died of asphyxiation.

“We waited for more than three hours for the ambulance but one was not given to us. Ultimately, Kanchan died waiting for the services of the hospital that never arrived,” Prakash said.

The hospital authorities denied the allegations and said Mishra’s was not a case serious enough to be given an ambulance on an urgent note.

“The doctors had already said Mishra was suffering from mental illness and there was no urgency to provide her an ambulance. Despite repeated warnings given by the consulting doctor to not give her water while she was lying on the bed, they (her family) did so, because of which she died due to asphyxiation,” said Dr Nilima, director, ESIC Hospital.

Mishra’s family members have lodged a complaint against ESIC hospital for death due to negligence.

“The case is under investigation and we will lodge an FIR only after the probe. The body has been sent for a post-mortem examination,” said Neeraj Singh, station house officer, Sector 24 police station.

First Published: Aug 09, 2016 23:46 IST