Hockey: India defeat Pakistan 3-1 to reach U18 Asia Cup final
The Indian hockey team produced a superior performance as they outplayed arch rival Pakistan 3-1 in the U18 Asia Cup semifinal clash in Dhaka on Thursday.
The Indians made their intentions clear with an early strike to go 1-0 up and doubled the lead moments before half time.
Second half was no different as India continued their aggressive game and scored their third goal immediately.
Although Pakistan pegged one back with less than ten minutes before the final whistle, the young Indians held their ground efficiently to secure their berth for the summit clash.
Shivam Anand, Dilpreet Singh, Nilam Sanjeep Xess were the goal scorers for India, while Amjad Ali Khan netted the solitary goal for Pakistan.
In other semifinal, hosts Bangladesh demolished Chinese Taipei 6-1 at the Maulana Bhashani National Hockey Stadium and will take on India in the summit clash on Friday.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Seven of India’s nine Tokyo Olympics-bound boxers won medals, some of them beating world class boxers. Manish Kaushik (63kg) was the star as he made an impressive return from injury–tear in the biceps required surgery in May—and won gold in his first event after the tough recovery phase.
- The Belarusian coach, who mentored India’s top women distance runners to international medals, was found dead at NIS Patiala on Friday
- Officials in Anoka County, Minnesota, confirmed Friday that Pavelich died at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, on Thursday morning. The cause and manner of death are still pending.
- Makhachev has an impressive record of 18 wins and only one loss and is a former teammate of retired lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
- ‘India Unleashed’, an event sanctioned by the Indian Boxing Commission (IBC), Goraya wants to rope in changes with USA styled boxing format and help ring in the changes for professional boxing in India.