Mission Olympic Cell approves Bajrang’s one-month training camp in USA
Mission Olympic Cell has approved a one-month training camp in the USA for wrestler Bajrang Punia, one of India’s biggest medal hopes at the Tokyo Olympics.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Mission Olympic Cell held on Thursday, a press release stated.Mission Olympic Cell is a body set up by the Sports Authority of India to select athletes who are to get assistance under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme.
The camp will take place from December 4 to January 3 at Cliff Keen Wrestling Club, Michigan, at an approximate cost of Rs 14 lakhs.
Bajrang, who has been training at the SAI Sonepat centre after the resumption of training camps post the coronavirus lockdown, will travel to the USA with his coach Emzarios Bentinidis and physio Dhananjay.He will get to train with top international wrestlers under head coach, Sergei Beloglazov, who is a two-time Olympic champion.
Bajrang has already qualified for the Tokyo Olympics after earning a quota at the 2019 World Championships.
The World No. 2 in 65kg has preferred a stint in the USA over Individual World Cup scheduled in Serbia’s Belgrade from December 12 to 18.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth are among players who will feature in the three-leg Asia Series.
- Kenin lost to ninth-seeded Maria Sakkari 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. Svitolina lost to unseeded Russian Veronika Kudermetova 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (3).
- The Irishman was fighting for only the third time in the last five years. Since his rise to superstardom, McGregor’s activity inside the Octagon had started to decline. He fought 8 times in the 2014-2016 period. But in the next 4 years, McGregor had only 3 MMA fights.
- It was the first time that McGregor lost a match by a technical knockout.
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav, returning to action after four years of doping suspension, had a very good start as he defeated young Gaurav Baliyan, the defending champion, without breaking much sweat (10-0), but lost a close bout to Dhankar (4-3) in the next round.