Lack of new talent outside China worries Gade
Former world number one Peter Gade fears China will soon have a complete stranglehold over badminton if other countries fail to help bring through the next generation of shuttlers.Updated: Jun 25, 2011 13:42 IST
Former world number one Peter Gade fears China will soon have a complete stranglehold over badminton if other countries fail to help bring through the next generation of shuttlers.
The 34-year-old Dane said that China's steady supply of impressive talents assured them a bright future and others need to catch up.
"If Indonesia can develop more players and Denmark can do the same, then we have the chance against the Chinese because there are new (Chinese) talents out there," Gade was quoted as saying by Saturday's Jakarta Globe newspaper.
"We need to find them and afford them (the opportunity to join) international competitions."
China swept all five titles at last year's World Championships in Paris for the first time since 1987 and they have five men ranked in the top 11 of the world rankings.
Malaysian world number one Lee Chong Wei agreed with Gade that the young players needed to step up.
"We need to...give an opportunity to the young players to step in and show what they've got," Lee said.
"I won't be taking part at the (Southeast Asian) Games, because I want the juniors to start taking the responsibility of carrying the country's name in big tournaments."
First Published: Jun 25, 2011 13:35 IST