Today in New Delhi, India
May 22, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Patna police rescue kidnapped Delhi-based trader-brothers, arrest 5

Kapil Sharma and Suresh Sharma were kidnapped from the Patna airport last Friday on their arrival from Lucknow.

delhi Updated: Oct 26, 2016 12:26 IST
Mukesh K Mishra
Mukesh K Mishra
Delhi brothers rescued,Patna,Delhi brothers kidnapped
Delhi-based trader-brothers Kapil Sharma and Suresh Sharma were rescued on Wednesday by Patna police.(HT Photo)

The police rescued on Wednesday two Delhi-based traders from a Naxal-infested hilly area 140 km southeast of Patna, from where the brothers were kidnapped five days ago.

Sources said five persons have been arrested in connection with the October 21 abduction of Kapil Sharma, 47, and Suresh Sharma, 42, who flew down to Patna to finalise what they believed was a potential multi-crore contract. The police suspect the involvement of the Ranjit Don gang that is active in Lakhisarai district’s Kajra where the brothers were located in the wee hours.

Patna senior superintendent of police Manu Maharaaj said the traders were rescued from rugged Shringirishi Dham near Mahua Kol of insurgency-affected Kajra. “The arrested persons are being brought to Patna,” he added.

Kapil and Suresh, who are sons of a south Delhi-based stone trader, were kidnapped from the Patna airport last Friday on their arrival from Lucknow. The brothers, sources said, had come to see a construction site between Fatuha and Bakhatiyarpur.

Their father, Babulal Sharma, runs a construction firm, Shrutiyan Construction Limited, in the national capital.

Earlier, a Patna police team was sent to Delhi, where it questioned Shrutiyan employees. The cops zeroed in on an employee from east-central Bihar’s Munger, who reportedly provided vital clues. On that basis, a special investigation team of the police reached Lakhisarai, from where the traders were eventually rescued.

The brothers were offered a bait of a high-value tender. Sources said they were called to Patna to clinch a Rs 12-crore deal for supply of marble to IIT-Kharagpur.

On landing at the Patna airport, both were driven in a vehicle that did not bear a registration number. The duo was initially taken 45 km southeastward to Bakhtiyarpur.

The kidnappers allegedly demanded a ransom of Rs 4 crore and called their family from different mobile-phone numbers. The police denied the claim.

On Monday, three police teams raided various places in Barh, Bakhatiyarpur, Mokama and Fahtua in search of the duo. The police, on examining mobile call data record, said it traced the last call to Munger district.

Police said Babulal Sharma, who on reaching Patna last Saturday, told them that his sons informed him of the abduction at around 11.30 pm on Friday. Later, their cell-phones were found switched off.

It was on his complaint that the police registered a kidnapping case at the airport police station here.

First Published: Oct 26, 2016 11:49 IST