Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 21, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pune man downs liquid nitrogen in drink, tears his abdomen

The doctors said that food had spilled out from the stomach flooding the abdomen and the patient was at a very high risk of contracting a severe life threatening infection.

pune Updated: Jul 21, 2017 15:15 IST
Jui Dharwadkar
Jui Dharwadkar
Hindustan Times, Pune
Pune,liquid nitrogen,drink
The condition of the patient when presented at the hospital were shocking to the doctors. The stomach was torn from the inside and an incision of six inches could be seen by the doctors.(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

A city-based hospital recently conducted a life saving procedure on a young man who came with a torn abdomen after allegedly gulping down a drink with liquid Nitrogen in it.

The doctors said that food had spilled out from the stomach flooding the abdomen and the patient was at a very high risk of contracting a severe life threatening infection.The team of doctors treating this case was led by Dr Amit Deepta Goswami, head of department general surgery and Dr Mrigank Sharma, senior consultant, bariatric surgery, at Columbia Asia Hospital.

The patient, a 30-year-old man claimed to have ordered a drink that was presented with fumes. When he downed it quickly, he experienced a pain starting in his abdomen with a burning sensation. Perceiving it to be a form of acidity he requested the bar tender for another drink, wanting to squash the burning sensation. When the second drink did not assuage the discomfort and progressed to severe burning sensation and stomach ache, he realised he was in trouble.

The condition of the patient when presented at the hospital shocking the doctors too. The stomach was torn from the inside and an incision of six inches could be seen by the doctors. The case was a life threatening one where immediate surgical intervention was required. It was later revealed that the drink had liquid Nitrogen in it.

Dr Amit Deepta Goswami said, “The effect of mixing alcohol and nitrogen can lead to disastrous results. When it is mixed with any cocktail it produces a bubbly and smoky concoction. This is a popular but controversial novelty. The boiling point of this concoction is minus 196 degree Celcius and this makes the consumption potentially lethal.” “This patient came with the most diverse and challenging condition even for doctors to fathom where to start the treatment. Even the slightest delay could have led to fatal consequences and we were faced with a condition, probably one of the first in our careers,” Goswami added.

Dr Ashwini Kumar Handa, gastroenterologist, Columbia Asia Hospital, Pune, said, "In view of all the recent incidents that have occurred, which can be linked to the industry frequently visited by the younger generation, it is not only the responsibility of law makers but also a responsibility on part of doctors to educate on the ill effects brought about by these new concoctions and recipes of drinks which can harm people."

First Published: Jul 21, 2017 15:14 IST