Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 19, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Anganwadi workers protest: demand better pay, job regularisation

The anganwadi workers launched a statewide protest against the Central and state governments for not fulfilling their long pending demands.

punjab Updated: Dec 11, 2015 22:21 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Anganwadi,Anganwadi workers protest,Better pay
anganwadi workers protesting at Sangrur.(HT Photo)

The anganwadi workers launched a statewide protest against the Central and state governments for not fulfilling their long pending demands.

More than 1000 anganwadi workers held a protest outside the gates of Sangrur district administration complex on Friday.

Anganwadi worker Rajbir Kaur said that both the centre and the state government are meting out step-motherly treatment towards them. She said they are called only when the government needs workers or supporters, however, they demands are never fulfilled.

Taking a dig at Prime Minister’s habit of starting a new scheme every day, the state chief of anganwadi workers union Usha Rani said that Narendra Modi is a kind of cloud which only bursts but never rains.

Usha Rani said that anganwadi workers are launching their protest from Sangrur and it will move throughout the state. Rani said there are more than 2 lakh anganwadi workers in Punjab who are getting an honorarium of `5000 per month, which the government is not giving them on the pretense of lack of funds. She said that the Punjab government should also give anganwadi workers an honorarium of `7500 per month like the Haryana government.

Moreover, they demanded for better amenities and strengthening of the integrated child development scheme (ICDS). Usha said that under the ICDS the central government is supposed to give 60%, however the remaining 40% is a share of respective state governments. The ruling government in Punjab said that they don’t have any money for such schemes, Rani told HT.

Rani said that, not only SAD and BJP government, the other parties like Congress and AAP also don’t care about people and are only concerned about filling their own pockets.

They are also demanding for regularisation and payment on the pattern of central government employees. Rani said, as per their work they also deserve pension. She said if the government did not pay attention to their demands then they will be forced to launch their agitation in Delhi.

She added that the workers would intensify their protest if the government does not fulfill their demands.


Basic amenities: Proper building, clean drinking water, adequate feed for kids

Regularisation as central government employees

Allowances and pension at pattern of central government pay scale

Honorarium equal to Haryana state which is Rs 7500 per month

Strengthening of ICDS scheme and proper funds for kids

First Published: Dec 11, 2015 22:19 IST