New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 29, 2020-Tuesday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / Punjab / Another cylinder blast in Ludhiana, three injured

Another cylinder blast in Ludhiana, three injured

Major tragedy averted: Building has two floors and three families, including the owner’s, reside in it; a tenant was cooking dinner when the LPG started leaking; people rushed out before the blast

punjab Updated: May 07, 2018 15:34 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Ludhiana
Harjeet Singh Bedi, 33, sustained 40% burn injuries and has been admitted to the civil hospital.
Harjeet Singh Bedi, 33, sustained 40% burn injuries and has been admitted to the civil hospital. (Gurpreet Singh/HT)

Ten days after cylinder blast in Giaspura where 11 people died and 23 were injured, another cylinder exploded in a building in New Kundanpuri area on Saturday night, which left three injured. A neighbour was critically injured, when he came to the rescue.

The cylinder exploded when one of the tenants was cooking food on the ground floor of the building. A major tragedy was averted as there are three more families living in the house, including the owner’s family, and also there were two more gas cylinders in the building which were taken out just in time.

The families rushed out of the house and made efforts to douse the flames. 

Harjeet Singh Bedi, the neighbour, Tilak Dhari, tenant, and Sahil, house owner’s son, got injured after the explosion. 

Mini truck goes up in flames
  • A mini truck also caught fire near the office of the district president of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Daljit Singh Bhola at Tibba road on Saturday night. It is suspected that there was short-circuit in overhead electricity wires and the truck was parked there.
  • The truck was carrying hosiery waste perished and fortunately no one sustained injuries. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot and no casualty was reported from the spot.

Harjeet, 33, was admitted to the Civil Hospital with 40% burn injuries. He said he came from work around 10pm when he heard panicked voices from the street. After coming to know about the fire incident he tried dousing the flames with water. 

“Someone told me that flames can be controlled if we pour sand on the cylinder. I carried sand from the street and when I was going towards the cylinder, it exploded and three of us got injured,” said Bedi. 

The house owner, Nihal Singh, said he was present in the house when the fire broke out. The tenant was cooking dinner when the fire broke out as there was some leakage in the gas pipe, Singh said. 

“Immediately after the fire, I raised an alarm and his family members and others came out of the house. When the cylinder exploded, panic gripped the area as the flames engulfed the house and flames spread in the street as well,” Singh said. 

Around 15-20 minutes after the incident, fire brigade reached the spot and took the injured to the hospital before an ambulance could arrive. “My son Sahil received injury on the neck and tenant Tilak Dhari got injuries on the arm. Both were discharged from the Civil Hospital on Saturday night only, while Harjeet is admitted,” added Singh. 

Harjeet Singh, who works as a driver with a cab company, said no person from the district administration has come forward to help them. Singh said he is the only breadwinner in his family.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading