Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 15, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

BMW hit-and-run: Fed up with Rarewala, cops don’t want custody

A day after a local court extended police remand of Harmehtab Singh Rarewala by two days, he was sent to judicial custody here on Thursday. Rarewala is one of the accused in the death of Himachal chief minister Virbhadra Singh’s nephew .

punjab Updated: Feb 24, 2017 14:28 IST
Aneesha Bedi
Aneesha Bedi
Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
BMW murder,Akansh Sen,Harmehtab Singh Rarewala
The accused, Harmehtab Singh Rarewala, alias Farid, being taken to court in Chandigarh.(HT File Photo)

Finding him a tough nut to crack, the UT police gave up on Harmehtab Singh Rarewala, alias Farid, one of the accused in the death of Himachal chief minister Virbhadra Singh’s nephew on Thursday. Taking everyone by surprise, the police brought him to the district courts complex and told the court they don’t need his remand and he should be sent to judicial custody instead.

The court, accordingly, sent Rarewala to the judicial custody for 14 days.

This means that Rarewala alias Farid would be sent to the Burail jail instead of the custody of the local police.

He had been arrested for alleged murder of Akansh Sen, nephew of Himachal Pradesh CM Virbhadra Singh, after a BMW ran over him on February 9 in Sector 9.

The main accused, Balraj Singh Randhawa, is absconding.

On Wednesday, the court had sent Rarewala to two-day police remand after the police had insisted that they need to interrogate him to get clues on Randhawa.

This morning, however, the police told civil judge (junior division) Nisha that Rarewala wasn’t helping them at all and thus was of no use to them.

“During interrogation, he has again declined from his previous disclosure statement under Section 27 of the Evidence Act which was given in police custody,” the police said, adding that “this was only the initial stage of the investigation and this wasn’t helping is arresting main accused Randhawa, who continues to be at large.”

Inspector Poonam Dilwari, who is investigating the case, told HT, “We are fed up as he has been constantly changing his statements. He did the same last evening too after he had disclosed Balraj was in Amritsar, he later claimed that he wasn’t feeling too right...had a headache, and that he under panic stated that.”

She added, “What are we getting out of this if he isn’t going to cooperate. Hence, we requested for his judicial remand.”

When asked on he was retracting his statements time and again, Rarewala refused to comment. “I don’t have anything to say today... I didn’t exactly take back any of my statements,” he told Hindustan Times outside court.

On Wednesday, taking note of the failure on the part of the ‘investigating officer in finding the whereabouts of the main accused despite six-day remand as per police file’, the court of duty magistrate had extended the remand of Rarewala by two days.

First Published: Feb 23, 2017 12:00 IST