Cadet from Hoshiarpur electrocuted in Kerala
A 20-year-old city resident Satvir Singh, who had cleared the National Defence Academy (NDA) test at 17, was electrocuted in Kerala during a naval training session on Wednesday.punjab Updated: Oct 09, 2014 21:58 IST
A 20-year-old city resident Satvir Singh, who had cleared the National Defence Academy (NDA) test at 17, was electrocuted in Kerala during a naval training session on Wednesday. He was one among a group of four cadets practising sailing in the Kavvayi river when the mast of the boat touched the overhead high-tension wires. Satvir was killed, while the other cadets were seriously injured.
Officials from the Indian Naval Academy (INA), Ezhimala, informed the family of the mishap by late evening. The deceased’s father Surinder Singh, a retired police officer, immediately set out for Kerala.
“When I got the first call, I was told that Satvir is admitted to a hospital but later, INA officials informed us that he was no more,” said Satvir’s sibling Khushbir Singh. He added Satvir had completed the three-year training at NDA, Khadakwasla (Pune) and had recently joined Ezhimala for a one-year training stint.
“We had a long conversation on Tuesday night and Satvir had said he would return from the sailing expedition on October 11,” said Khushbir, adding that his late brother was also pursuing MSc. He added Satvir was one of the youngest candidates to have cleared the NDA exams in 2011.
First Published: Oct 09, 2014 21:55 IST