Gang of robbers busted in Tarn Taran, three arrested
The SSP said during interrogation, the accused confessed to have committed six major crimes, including five robberies.punjab Updated: Feb 08, 2018 14:11 IST
The district police have busted a gang of high-profile robbers with the arrest of three of its members from Thathi Khara village, 5km from here on Wednesday.
- On December 5, 2017: The accused looted a truck loaded with ghee tins after injuring the truck driver from Dasua area of Hoshiarpur. A case against the accused in this regard was registered at the Dasua police station.
- On December 13, 2017: The Goindwal Sahib of Tarn Taran district booked the accused under Sections 21-31-59-85 of the NDPS Act and 25-54-59 of the arms Act.
- On January 2, 2018: The accused looted ₹40,000 from a scooterist near Alladinpur village and were booked by the Sadar police of the district.
- On January 18, 2018: The accused made an unsuccessful attempt to break an ATM of the Punjab National Bank in Tarn Taran. They were booked by the city police.
- On January 21, 2018: The accused looted ₹58,000 from a dairy situated at the Tarn Taran city centre.
- On January 28, 2018: The accused looted ₹3,90,000 at gunpoint from the Arora Auto Agency at the Jandiala chowk in Tarn Taran.
The police seized 530gm heroin, a .12-bore pistol, five live cartridges, one motorcycle and Rs 1lakh from the possession of the accused.
The accused have been identified as Gurjant Singh of Piddi village, Sahib Singh of Tarn Taran and Hadeep Singh of Chambal village.
Addressing a press conference, senior superintendent of police (SSP) Darshan Singh Mann said the accused were wanted under Sections 379 B (snatching), 406 (criminal breach of trust), 473 (making or possessing counterfeit seal, etc), 457 (house-trespass), 380 (theft ), 427 (mischief ), 511 (attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment), 392 (robbery), 336 (kidnapping, abducting or inducing woman to compel her marriage) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), 21-61-85 of Narcotic Drugs and Psycotropic Substances Act, 1985(NDPS) and 25-54-59 of Arms Act. “They had made a gang and were active in adjoining districts of Tarn Taran,” he added.
He said following the inputs, the police had laid a naka in Thathi Khara village and, during checking, the police arrested the accused,” he said.
The SSP said during interrogation, the accused confessed to have committed six major crimes, including five robberies. “Further investigation is on and we are hopeful of recovering all looted money and things from the accused’s possession,” he said.