Gas leakage,One more succumbs to injuries
With the death of a woman who succumbed to her injuries during treatment at PGI, Chandigarh, the toll due to leakage in the LPG cylinder, which resulted into a powerful blast here last week, has risen to five.punjab Updated: Jun 28, 2014 22:34 IST
With the death of a woman who succumbed to her injuries during treatment at PGI, Chandigarh, the toll due to leakage in the LPG cylinder, which resulted into a powerful blast here last week, has risen to five. The deceased was identified as Jasbir Kaur, who was working as a teacher at a government school. In fact, it was Jasbir who had organised the 'langar' (community kitchen) where the incident took place.
Her husband Jaspal Singh was bed-ridden for the past seven years after getting injured in an accident and she had organised the 'langar' for his recovery.
Her neighbour Pooja, who also died along with her three children earlier, was helping Jasbir Kaur in preparing food for the 'langar'.
Pooja and her 12-year-year old daughter Jashan had died on June 26. Pooja's eight-year-old son Sharan and 14-year-old daughter Rashmeet had died on June 22.
Six persons, including five women, were seriously injured and sustained more than 80% burn injuries, when they were preparing food for the 'langar' at Jaspal Singh's house at Dogra Mohalla.
The victims were preparing food on an LPG cylinder when its pipe got leaked and Jasbir Kaur, Surjeet Kaur, Pooja, Rashmeet, Jashan and Sharan sustained burn injuries.
Meanwhile, Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal announced an ex-gratia grant of Rs 1 lakh each for the next of the kin of the deceased.
First Published: Jun 28, 2014 22:33 IST