Medicines worth lakhs gutted at chemist shop
Medicines and furniture worth lakhs were gutted after a fire broke out at a chemist shop at Pindi Street Wholesale Chemist Market on Sunday morning.punjab Updated: Apr 21, 2013 18:18 IST
Medicines and furniture worth lakhs were gutted after a fire broke out at a chemist shop at Pindi Street Wholesale Chemist Market on Sunday morning.
It took three fire tenders two hours to douse the flames. The reason behind the fire has not been ascertained yet, but the firefighters suspect that it could have been caused due to a short circuit in the power supply cables.
Bhagwan Singh, owner of the shop, claimed that he incurred a loss of around Rs 65 lakh in the incident.
He said the fire broke out around 6 am, and a tea vendor at the market witnessed the flames first and sounded the fire brigade and also informed him.
Bhagwan said when he reached the shop around 7 am, the fire tenders were already trying to douse the flames.
“From furniture to medicines, everything in the shop was gutted. Even the building has been affected,” he added.
First Published: Apr 21, 2013 18:16 IST