Short circuit at gurdwara: 3 copies of Guru Granth Sahib burnt
The police said the fire broke out due to short circuit in the gurdwara building.punjab Updated: Aug 03, 2018 11:46 IST
In a fire incident at a gurdwara in Gossal village on Thursday, falling under the Kalanaur police station, three copies of the Guru Granth Sahib were burnt.
The police said the fire broke out due to short circuit in the gurdwara building. The locals rushed out of their houses on hearing a blast and saw fumes coming out of the building and informed the gurdwara president, Harjinder Singh.
On being informed, deputy superintendent of police Gurbans Singh Bains and Kalanaur station house officer (SHO) Nirmal Singh rushed to the spot immediately.
The locals, however, made an attempt to control the blaze by throwing water.
The DSP said, “A ceiling fan might have sparked due to short circuit, wherein three copies of the holy book,'Chaur Sahib’, a ceremonial whisk waved over Guru Granth Sahib; Peerha Sahib (where the Guru Granth Sahib is placed for recitation of 'Gurbani' or holy verses and a few gutkas, small booklets of gurbani, were burnt.”
Kalanaur SHO said that the police did not file any FIR in the matter and said, “It did not seem to work of miscreants but merely an accident.”
DSP Gurbans Singh Bains further reported the matter to Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee’s in Amritsar.The SGPC then sent a team to the gurdwara and took away the burnt up copies for its proper disposal.
First Published: Aug 03, 2018 11:45 IST