Two-storeyed store gutted in Tarn Taran
A two-storeyed grocery store was gutted at Bauhri Wala chowk in the wee hours of Monday.punjab Updated: Oct 25, 2016 15:33 IST
A two-storeyed grocery store was gutted at Bauhri Wala chowk in the wee hours of Monday.
Store owner Sanjeev Kumar said he got a phone call at 4.15am, informing him about the fire. “When I reached there, fire had engulfed both the floors. I along with other people threw bucketsful of water to douse the flames, but to no avail,” he said.
By the time a fire tender reached the spot from Amritsar, the fire had subsided. It is being suspected the the fire broke out due to a short circuit. Sanjeev said grocery items worth Rs 17 lakh were destroyed in the fire.
Residents irked over absence of fire station
Residents blamed the absence of a fire station in the district for the huge losses faced by the shop owner. Earlier, businessmen suffered losses in crores when a major fire engulfed a three-storeyed showroom of hosiery and cosmetic items in the main market at Patti.
“Non-availability of fire tenders is a common problem in all new districts. Even if tenders are made available, we will face problem in operating and maintaining these in absence of trained staff,” Tarn Taran deputy commissioner Balwinder Singh Dhaliwal told HT.
Dhaliwal said the district authorities had written to the state government seeking setting up of fire station. “We will send a reminder again,” he said.
First Published: Oct 25, 2016 15:15 IST