Dhanush turns 34 today: Here are a few lesser known facts about the actor
Do you know how Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raj became Dhanush, and that he wanted to become a chef and not an actor?Updated: Aug 02, 2017 13:13 IST
Over the years Dhanush has become a name to reckon with, not just in the South Indian film industry, but also in Bollywood - thanks to his body of work. The actor whose real name is Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raj turned a year older today. Interestingly, this year had been an eventful one for the actor. He made his directorial debut with Power Paandi that was received well. Dhanush also started shooting for his Hollywood movie, The Extraordinary Journey Of The Fakir Who Got Trapped In An Ikea Cupboard. Having spread his charm in Bollywood with films such as Raanjhanaa (2013) and Shamitabh (2015), Dhanush’s latest film, VIP2 with Kajol, releases soon.
As Dhanush celebrates his 34th birthday today, we take a look at a few unknown facts about the star.
1. After entering the South Indian film industry at the age of 16, the actor decided to change his real name Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja to Dhanush. The reason was that he wanted to create a new identity for himself. He shared his name with Tamil actors Ilaya Thilagam Prabhu and actor Prabhu Deva. In an earlier interview, Dhanush revealed that while watching Kurudipunal (1995) that highlighted a covert mission operation titled, Dhanush, he really liked the name and thought of using that as his stage name.
2. Dhanush never dreamt of becoming an actor, rather he wanted to pursue a Hotel Managemnet course to be a chef. But Selvaraghavan, his elder brother, who is a director-screenwriter, convinced him to try his hand in acting. Dhanush was quoted in an interview saying that even though he threw tantrums and cried to avoid getting into acting, he ended up in films and started his journey with his father Kasthuri Raja’s directorial, Thulluvadho Ilamai (2002).
3. Being an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva, Dhanush, who is married to Superstar Rajinikanth’s eldest daughter Aishwarya Rajinikanth, named their two sons Yatra (pilgrimage) and Linga (synonymous with Shiv Lingam).
4. Dhanush met his wife Aishwarya Rajinikanth during the screening of the romantic thriller Kadhal Kondaen (2003). Aishwarya loved Dhanush’s performance in the film and sent him a beautiful bouquet and also told him to stay connected. Interestingly, Aishwarya is two years elders to Dhanush. Dhanush, who wanted to get married before he turned 23, tied the knot with Aishwarya in 2004.
5. Dhanush’s Kolaveri di became an instant hit. But do you know that Dhanush wrote the lyrics of this famous hit in just six minutes. In fact, the rough version of the track was recorded in 35 minutes.
6. Reportedly, Dhanush was head over heels in love with a girl when he was 16 years old, but unfortunately she dumped the actor after he flunked his class 12 exams.
7. Dhanush is inclined towards music. He writes and sings Tamil songs.
8. In the year 2011, Dhanush was awarded the title of India’s ‘Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity’ by PETA.
9. Dhanush made his Bollywood debut with Aanand L Rai’s Raanjhanaa and shared a good rapport with him. But differences cropped up when his cameo in Aanand’s Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015) got chopped off without Dhanush knowing about it. The incident hurt the actor.
Follow @htshowbiz for more