Padmavati: Bengali film industry holds 15-minute blackout against protests
Expressing its solidarity with the cast and crew of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s upcoming Padmavati, the Bengali film fraternity on Tuesday observed a ’15-minute black out’ denouncing the protests against the film.
The entire Bengali film industry came to a standstill from 12 noon to 12.15 pm, as actors, technicians, directors, producers and all other stakeholders joined the symbolic protest by wearing black badges and coming out of the studios, where pre- and post-production work on films and television serials were being held.
The Eastern India Motion pictures’ Association, the Artist Forum and the Federation of Cine Technicians and Workers had on Monday jointly called for the protest.
The Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor starrer has seen violent protests across many Indian states for nearly a month now as Rajput groups are up in arms against, what they claim, is a distortion of history. Padmavati chronicles the life of a 14th century Rajput queen of Chittor (modern-day Mewar region of Rajasthan) who, along with many women, committed a ritual called jauhar, which involved self immolation, to prevent capture by Delhi’s sultan Alauddin Khilji.
Even before the film’s release, many states have banned the film including Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and now Bihar.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ananya Panday on Thursday shared a picture with her team mates from Liger as they all went for dinner together. See her picture here. Liger stars Ananya and Vijay Deverakonda in the lead.
- Anita Hassanandani has shared two cute videos on her Instagram Stories in which she can be seen pampering her son, Aaravv.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram to wish her brother Ibrahim Ali Khan on his birthday on Friday. See his specially designed football-shaped cake.
- Rubina Dilaik was extremely angry and fought with Rakhi Sawant when she got to know about the incident. Abhinav has now said that the reaction made him feel a 'sense of belonging'.
- Kangana Ranaut has posted a video from the sets of Tejas in which she can be seen training on a net. She plays an Indian Air Force pilot in the film.
- Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan tied the knot in 2012. At the time, Brad Pitt wished the couple 'all the luck' on their marriage.
- Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
- Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter and dropped a vague description of a man who she believes is running a social media smear campaign against her.