Quality is more important to me than quantity: Nusrat Jahan
Can two actors in Bollywood be true friends? Not really, if we are to go by the long list of catfights among Bollywood actors. However, the scene is quite the opposite in Tollywood. The three leading actors of Jamai 420, Nusrat Jahan, Payel Sarkar and Mimi Chakraborty, are bonding like a house on fire. "Believe me, we three even shared the same room while shooting for the film in Bangkok. We had a blast," says Nusrat. HT caught up with Nusrat on films, catfights and more:
The film is a multi-starrer (it stars Ankush, Soham, Hiraan, Mimi and Payel). Were you apprehensive before accepting the role in the film?
I accepted the film after reading the script. When I heard it, I was completely convinced about my character. This story is about six people and everyone's role is of equal importance in the film.
But weren't you apprehensive about sharing screen space with two mainstream actors?
I have been taught by a very close person and not to think much after taking up a project. The more you think, the more you get worried. All I believe is I was given a character to portray and I tried my best to justify it. As far as screen space is concerned, the audiences will come to know everything once they watch the film.
So, is it to be believed that you three didn't have any catfights?
(Laughs out loud) Yes, I know it's sad news. There's no masala for the media. While shooting for this film, we three put up in the same room in the hotel, shared screen space happily and spent some really nice time. There were no arguments. This is surprising but that's the truth. We are good friends. Personally, I don't like fighting and I've always loved making friends. People too have always been nice to me.
How did you bond when you were not shooting? Didn't you gossip about the film industry?
(Cuts in) We used to shop like crazy. Both Mimi and Payel used to drag me to the shops in Bangkok. We were friends even before we came on board this film, so shooting for the film was even more fun. We used to have adda sessions till 2 am and then wake up at 5 am and start shooting. As far as gossip is concerned, I guess it comes naturally to women but we indulged in healthy gossip and most of the time we ended up laughing. We used to talk about men and not girls. That was a much better subject for discussion.
Tell us about your character in the film.
I play Priyanka, a lawyer, who is a no-nonsense person but is very talkative. I've always wanted to work with Ravi Kinagi. This film is a comedy and if you have tension in life, just drop into the theatre and watch this film. You will come out of the theatre rejuvenated.
You have done only five films in five years (she made her debut with Shatru in 2011).
I have only gone for projects, which I felt I should be part of. I never regret having done only five films in five years. Quality is more important to me than quantity.
Your last film, Sandhe Namar Aage, didn't work at the box office. Does it affect an actor when a film fails?
Of course it takes a toll on us but then at the end of the day everything's not in our hands. You never know which film works with the audiences. At times a film, which was not expected to become a hit, turns out to be a blockbuster. Sandhye Namar Aage gave me a chance to do something different. The experience will help me in the future.
Finally, when do you plan to settle down?
(Cuts in) I am still young. I love my spinster life. Someone who I want to settle down with is more a friend to me. So, I don't plan to settle down at least before two and half years.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Eijaz Khan has said that going through financial difficulties wasn't the only reason that he did Bigg Boss 14; he also wanted to resurrect his career.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.
- "The whole world is laughing at us today," Kangana Ranaut wrote in a new tweet, targeting Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra.
- Actor Salman Khan, in his Republic Day message for fans, called for unity. Read what he has to say here.
- Kajol revealed that the most important thing her mother Tanuja taught her about parenting was to let children think for themselves.
- Kareena Kapoor has shared a Republic Day message for her fans on Instagram. She wished for freedom of the mind and pride of the soul on the occasion.
- Arshi Khan said that there are different kinds of entertainers in the world, and she doesn't want to be the sort of entertainer that her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestant Rakhi Sawant is.