Barca floored by Sociedad
Real Madrid stormed three points clear at the top of La Liga after they beat Elche 3-0 on Saturday and Barcelona slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Real Sociedad.
Asier Illarramendi gave Real the lead before the break but it took them until the 72nd minute to score again with a rocket of a long-range drive by Gareth Bale. Isco added a third goal with nine minutes left.
Barca were cut open again and again on the counter-attack by a Sociedad side intent on avenging their recent King's Cup exit at the hands of the Catalans.
Fifth-placed Sociedad went ahead through an Alex Song own goal before Lionel Messi equalised. Antoine Griezmann and David Zurutuza then struck after the break to send Barca to defeat.
It could have been worse for the champions as Carlos Vela hit the woodwork late on.
"We didn't feel comfortable and hold possession which is our strength. This meant that they had openings," Barca defender Gerard Pique told reporters.
"Now we have a break for a week and we can consider what went wrong. We are only three points behind so it isn't worrying."
Barca, who also had coach Gerardo Martino dismissed at halftime for complaining to the referee, have 60 points from 25 matches.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Messi helped Barca take the lead on the half-hour mark when he carved open Osasuna's defence with a superb cross-field ball to Alba, who controlled before blasting into the roof of the net.
- Daniel Amartey's 88th-minute header completed a comeback win for Leicester who stretched their unbeaten away run to 10 games.
- The Belarusian coach, who mentored India’s top women distance runners to international medals, was found dead at NIS Patiala on Friday
- The draw also extended NorthEast unbeaten run this season to 11, with 10 of those coming under interim head coach Khalid Jamil. The 43-year-old Indian coach made three changes to the side that had won 2-0 against Kerala Blasters in their last league game of the campaign.
- Xhaka received a pass from goalkeeper Bernd Leno inside Arsenal’s penalty area and attempted a risky pass around Burnley striker Chris Wood to teammate David Luiz with his weaker right foot. The ball went straight to Wood and deflected into the net off the striker’s hip in the 39th minute.
- Officials in Anoka County, Minnesota, confirmed Friday that Pavelich died at the Eagle's Healing Nest in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, on Thursday morning. The cause and manner of death are still pending.
- Makhachev has an impressive record of 18 wins and only one loss and is a former teammate of retired lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.