I need six weeks to heal: Sania
India No. 1 Sania Mirza ruled herself out for six weeks due to a career-threatening wrist injury that returned at the Dubai Open last month.sports Updated: Mar 03, 2010 01:56 IST
India No. 1 Sania Mirza ruled herself out for six weeks due to a career-threatening wrist injury that returned at the Dubai Open last month.
“Right now, I can’t say anything definite but it will take me another six weeks to recover fully,” said Mirza, here to inaugurate a residential tennis academy headed by former Davis Cup captain Jaidip Mukerjea. The academy will host an ITF Futures meet later this month.
Mirza had revealed the injury after losing to Spain’s Anabel Medina Garrigues in the first round of the Dubai Open last month.
That has effectively jeopardised her chances of taking part in the French Open in a year that has seen the Hyderabad ace slump to 83 from a career high of 27 in the world rankings.
It hasn’t been a great start to the year too. She called off her engagement to Sohrab Mirza in January, which was preceded by pulling out of the mixed doubles category after Mahesh Bhupathi had aggravated a calf injury. They were the defending champions but Mirza said she had already got over the disappointment. “It’s March now. How long can I think about it,” she said.
Though not sure of her future, the 23-year-old has set her sight on the upcoming Commonwealth Games. “The Commonwealth Games is in October so I have still some time in hand. First I have to recover fully and then I will decide which tournaments I would play, and that includes taking a call on the French Open as well,” Mirza said. The French Open starts on May 23.